Frequenly asked questions

What do I do if my child needs to take medication at school?

Daily or Routine Medication

A medication permission form must be filled out and signed by the physician and the parent, see link below. Please remember that an adult must deliver the prescription medication to the school. All medication must be in the original container.   

Over-The-Counter/PRN (as needed) Medications

Self-administration and Storage: STUDENTS ARE NOT ALLOWED TO CARRY OR SELF-ADMINISTER MEDICATION AT SCHOOL. (Exceptions are made for carrying EpiPens and Inhalers with special emergency planning. See below and contact the school nurse.) We have many OTC meds in the health office, Ibuprofen, acetameniphen, Tums, Bacitracin, Benadryl to name a few.  If you child needs these occasionally they can come in and use the stock here. If they require a daily OTC medication I ask that you send in a supply for your child.   All medications will be secured in the Nurse’s Office for the school year, but should be taken home during the summer. Permission forms (see link below) or you may hand write a permission for OTC meds. These need to be updated each school year as well. 

Short-term Medications (antibiotics, eye drops etc)

Original Containers: You should ask the pharmacy about providing two prescription bottles, so you will have one for school. If you do not have a second bottle, please label and repackage your home medication, so that the school has the original container. Medication will not be given from a baggie.

What do I need to do for my child with severe allergies and an EpiPen?

If your child has a severe allergy (such as peanut, shell fish, or bees), please fill out an Individual Allergy Emergency Plan in addition to traditional medication permits (see below). This form must be filled out and signed by the physician as well as the parent. An Allergy Action Plan from your child’s physician is also acceptable. The plan will be copied and sent with your child on a field trip. There is an RN available 8a-3:10p daily and trained staff will be available on field trips or for after school activities to handle an allergy emergency. EpiPens/Epinephrine must be provided by the parents. If your child is doing activities outside of the normal school day, please be sure your child carries an EpiPen and that you communicate with the advisor. Check expiration dates on EpiPens. They deteriorate quickly and should be replaced when they expire. Ideally the allergic student will carry an EpiPen/Epinephrine (and Benadryl or inhalers as ordered) and the nurse will keep a spare in the Nurse’s Office. Please be sure to designate where the Epipen will be located on the Emergency Plan. 

My child has Asthma, can they carry their own inhaler?

The state requires that all children who have an inhaler have a medication permission to use the inhaler at school from the doctor. The doctor should sign that the student carry it. An Individual Asthma Emergency Plan should be filled out and signed by both the parent and the physician. You may substitute an Asthma Action Plan provided by your child’s doctor. These forms are also copied and sent on field trips, so that the teacher has the most up to date information. If a student is not reliable to keep an inhaler in their backpack, we recommend they keep a backup inhaler in the Nurse’s Office. It is helpful if inhalers have the prescription label directly on the inhaler, rather than the box. You may need to ask the pharmacist to do this. In addition, all students who are carrying their own inhalers should meet with the school nurse for a safety review.

How will my child’s teacher know about my child’s food allergy or food-based health concern?

We always recommend parents speak directly with teachers if applicable in addition to speaking with the school nurse, if parents have any concerns about their child. If your child has food allergies or food-based health concerns and might need accommodations, please fill out an Accommodation Plan for Severe Food Allergies or Food-based Health Concerns if applicable. 

Is SAU67 a Peanut/nut-free District?

No, our Cafeteria and food/cooking classes don’t knowingly use peanuts or nuts in food preparation. Snacks consumed in classrooms are not supposed to contain peanuts or nuts. These foods are still allowed to be brought in from home and eaten in the cafeteria during lunch. Currently we practice an “awareness” model and provide wipes for hands, face, and table clean-up for those who chose peanut/nut products for lunch. The allergic student is asked to be careful about not eating foods containing allergens or unknown ingredients, as well as being aware of what is being eaten around them and not sitting next to someone consuming the offending foods. 

“My child has a fracture”, “has a concussion”, “was in the hospital”, “had pneumonia”...

PLEASE CALL THE NURSE’S OFFICE TO LET US KNOW. Each injury or health issue is individual and the nurse will help plan for your child’s safe return to school. Please contact the nurse prior to your child’s return to school. That way she can work with you and your physician to arrange any accommodations your doctor suggests. There may be class activities parents are unaware of that can or must be adjusted to accommodate your child’s health issue. It is helpful to have a note from the doctor stating the health concern, the student’s ability to return to school, and whether or not there are any restrictions.

My child had a fever last night, but they are fine this morning. Can they attend school?

Students should be fever-free for 24 hours (without the use of Acetaminophen or Ibuprofen) before returning to school to help prevent illness transmission, especially if the fever was accompanied by a cough, sore throat, or vomiting. When students are on an antibiotic for a contagious illness such as strep throat or conjunctivitis, they should be on the antibiotic for at least 24 hours before returning to school. Please report a fever of greater than 100 accompanied by a cough or sore throat. This meets the criteria of Influenza-Like-Illness (ILI) and must be reported. If your child has been ill and they are attending school, please be sure that you are available to be reached should symptoms return. Feel free to contact the school nurse for consult, whenever you have questions about illness or school attendance.  

Will my child need any new immunizations to attend school?

SAU67 follows the NH DHHS Immunization Requirement. All students will need to have two doses of Varicella Vaccine or history chicken pox disease. Anyone turning age 11 before school starts in September will be required to have a one-time Tdap (Tetanus and Pertussis) booster before the first day of school. Those turning 11 during the year will be required to have a Tdap booster before the first day of the following school year. Please send the health office your child's yearly physical each time they go for their well child check up. This will help us keep their health record and immunization status up to date.

My child wants to try out for a school sport. Do they need a physical exam?

YES. A Physical Exam must be completed within 2 years, prior to any school sport student participation including tryouts.  See below for medical exam form or one from the PCP office stating that the child may participate in sports and activities without restrictions will suffice.  Different schools approach this process differently, see the page for your school on this website for more information.

My child has a medical diagnosis of a dietary need. What do I need to have this at school?

This is dependent on each school, please see your schools page on this website for more information.

My child is ill and will be absent. What should I do?

PLEASE call and let us know. There is an absence phone line where you can leave a message at any hour. A staff member must call to check on students, if you have not called your child out sick. We also appreciate details of illness such as fever numbers and symptoms. This information is used confidentially by the school nurse for tracking communicable illness.  

Should I call the school nurse?

Please feel free to call the school nurse anytime with questions or concerns. We are happy to help you in any way.